If you have read swim upstream, you have seen that we spend a lot of time on attitudes, mentalities, and the fact that you have a choice as to which attitude you embrace...
Perhaps it is time to lay out some of the possible attitudes or perspectives from which different people view the world, and difficult as it may be assign them a heirarchy that we can hope to ascend on our way to making better decisions and becomeing better people.
Feel free to add your input (because it only makes the outcome and the education for everyone better), but here is a possible order of the levels of thinking/ reasoning/ perspective that one may venture through in life:
- Need Now: The lowest level on Maslow's Pyramid of needs. Basically, the way a baby cries for a bottle, or a toddler wants their mommy and doesn;t stop to think that they are blue in the face and whaling at the top of their lungs in Wal-Mart.
- Want Now: Selfish, "me, me, me" attitude combined with a hint of what they actually may want. No idea where they are headed because they are focused on the now.
- Not Now: As these spoiled kids get older, and responsible hits them in the form of their first job, or chores, etc... the first reaction is often to shirk away from that responsibility.
- What Now?: "I have a job" or "I went to school", now what? This is that wonderful transitional period when children become adults because they stop doing what they were told, and start identifying for themselves what they want out of life.
- Why Now?: This is the fighting getting older/ responsibility/ having to think on their own stage. Much like the "not now' stage, only you have more money and can do more damage to yourself without any direction.
- Right Now: Once they truly know where they want to go, this is the first step towards truly growing up and maturing- seizing opportunities and getting busy living because it is what they want.
- More Now: This is where we start to increase our acheivement, desire, and effectiveness by implementing more/ better time management strategies, we improve our skill sets, and we allow ourselves to want more out life.
- Share Now: This is where we become less selfish and we share what we know, and where we are headed, with those who are important to us.
- Love Now: This is the stage of life that not everybody hits (but we hope that you do) wherein you know who you love, what you are passionate about, and why it is good to be you.
- Mentor Now: This is where we take the love of what we do and combine it with humility as we teach others to do the same and pass their teachings on. It is about affecting change within the world you live in.
- Leave Now: This is the final chapter of our evolvement- self actualization. As a matter of fact, this stage is often not complete until after we are dead, because the key to this stage- is legacy. Leaving a legacy at your job, within your home and community at large, and in the world... making it all better than you left it.
This is by no means the bible as it comes to self development, but it is a start. The key to remember is that not everyone starts at the first stage... and also that even as some people bring children into the world, they may be no more mature than their own kids.
We will be revisiting this concept over the next several weeks, where we discuss some of the key developmental milestones for each stage, and how you can move closer to leaving a legacy and just getting more out of life.
Cheers.... see you at stage one next Thursday