These days, the average stress levels for most people are at an all-time high. With good reason…
- Housing prices are going up faster than the average earning potential for many families
- Violence is rising among school aged children and in our schools
- Traffic gets worse and worse; in Calgary 128 new cars were on the streets every day in 2006!
- There is more garbage on the internet and on TV for your kids to be exposed to
- In some cities, the divorce rate is at 7 out of every 10 marriages.
- The job market gets more competitive every day
- The cost of a post secondary education is soaring
- The list goes on
Depressed yet? Fear not. While everything in the above list is a genuine concern, and cannot be taken lightly, there are as many solutions circling around your head as there are problems. Want to create solutions to the above problems? Then you need to change what you ‘worry’ about.
That is, instead of worrying about problems, ‘worry’ (focus) on solutions. The tricky part is, you can only focus on solutions if you know what you are working towards. Enter the concept of ‘legacy’. What do you want to be remembered for? What do you want your life to look like and be like? Decide on the legacy you wish to leave, and then every decision you make becomes easier because you will only engage in those activities that move you closer to this ideal.
- Housing prices? Save more or earn a better position, or change jobs- it’s under your control.
- School violence? Educate your kids more, change schools, move to a safer community; again, you have a choice.
- Does getting mad at traffic tie-ups make you a better role model, a better person?
- Use parent guard on your family computer, and limit the amount and type of TV your kids watch- send them outside!
- Don’t settle in any relationship – demand more, and then be more selfless and cater to your spouses’ needs. Marry someone who feels the exact same way and who makes you a better person. Do the same for them in return.
- Be a better employee to gain a competitive advantage. Read books like Hire Me! to learn how to do this.
- Contribute to an RESP when your child is born, and getting that better job for the house helps here too- simple, 2 birds with one stone.
Everything that comes your way can be under your control if you decide it to be.
Stop worrying... Start working on your legacy.