New Year's is just one of those occasions. Follow the herd and get on board with creating a new plan with a fresh start. There is no reason to say it has to be the start of a new year but since so many of us decide that the turning of the calendar year allows for a new beginning then why not follow along.
Here are a few tips when you want to make real change in your life. Tips we have incorporated into our year long swim upstream mantra. Change can happen, this can be your start and we promise to help you maintain the possibility. The possibility of a happier you.
- Decide what you want to accomplish and write it down. Start small if you must but start with something and then post it up everywhere you will see it. Bathroom mirrors, fridge doors, day timers, car windows and the like. Decide what you want and then...
- Decide to do it. Set up a plan to make your WHAT come true. Follow through on that plan and just do it. Short term successes will equal long term successes if you keep at it.
- Decide to start now. No time like the present and it is a long way to 2009. Don't put off the work out, the food change, and don't keep the promotion can wait attitude. Mark Twain observed that there are 1000 excuses for every failure, but never a good one. Start.
- Celebrate your victories and move on from your losses. Don't wallow in your losses, just swallow them and move on. it is what it is and for goodness sake, be happy when you do something well. It's okay to smile when you do something great.
- Take responsibility. You are the boss, the CEO, the CFO, the COO and the line worker or your life. Get busy making orders and taking orders. Be the boss and accept the responsibility that goes with all these positions. The mirror is who you answer to. Accept it...NOW!
- Stop worrying. If you were worried about something last year on this very day, then I dare you to remember exactly what it was. If you can't remember then you illustrate the point. Move on and don't waste time worrying. Waste time living.
- Live for today. Today is the greatest day of your life. Tomorrow never comes. Regret is to be avoided. Live large. Live strong. Live for you.
Today we follow the herd and turn the page on a great 2007 so we may commence a tremendous 2008. Build on your successes and have a great 2008.
The Swim Upstream team.