I know a guy that had a dream.
I know a guy that overcame obstacles to achieve that dream.
I know a guy that worked hard for the past 5 years to overcome the obstacles to achieve that dream.
I know a guy that accomplished that dream just yesterday.
His name is Jeff. He is a great friend & a teammate of ours for the past decade. But he isn't any ordinary teammate - and that's why everyone loves him.
5+ years ago Jeff embarked on a journey to open up his own personal training facility. Over those 5 years he experienced what many entrepreneurs face; doubt from all the nay sayers, loss of financial backing [not once but twice], struggles to secure the deal [& the space], and the inevitable delays along the way. Through all this he remained persistent & consistent with his focus to achieve his ultimate goal of being a business owner. Yesterday, October 22 2012, he accomplished that mission.
Whether it is Jeff focused on opening his own personal training facility or Felix Baumgartner determined to do what no man has done before - they both set goals, experienced the adversity that comes with setting those goals, and perserved through the challenges & amount of time it takes to accomplish what we set out to do. These goals don't come overnight. They aren't easy. And few people have the patience to stay focused, confidence to take risks, and work ethic to make it happen but that's why they rise above status quo. That is what separates them from the rest of the pack. And that is what makes them entrepreneurs. On that note - congratulations on your recent success Jeff.
I saw a quote the other day and it said it perfectly.
"Entrepreneurship is living a few [or many] years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't."
And that is just one secret to your own personal & professional success.
On that note, many people want to achieve success in life, but it's easier said than done. There are so many distractions [in today's world in particular] that it can be challenging to discipline one's self to accomplish a monumental goal. Here are 15 tips to keep in check and on your mind as you pursue your goals like Jeff & Felix have.
1. First & foremost you have to imagine yourself being successful.
2. Surround yourself with other people who are successful. When you're surrounded with people who are highly-driven, it's encouraging - let alone the insight & perspective that they can provide.
3. Define the meaning os success as YOU see it. You cannot achieve success if you do not know what it means for you.
4. Stay away from all the distractions. Time focused on items that are not bringing you closer to your goals will force the time to achieve those goals to be longer.
5. Find the purpose or passion of your life. The things you love to do are the things that will give you the greatest satisfaction.
6. Set a timeline on when you want to achieve your objective. If you don't know when you will achieve your objective then you will never know when you will achieve it.
7. Identify the things / skills / materials / people that you need to achieve your objectives. Essentially this is identifying short terms objectives to achieve long term goals.
8. Study successful people. Look around - who has the success that you envision for yourself? Spend time around them, learn from them, and implement similar strategies that have been successful for them. Successful people do what unsuccessful people don't do.
9. Take risks. Step outside your comfort zone. Successful people think big and act big.
10. Master solution based thinking. People who are successful encourage progress by solving problems and answering questions in a quickly fashion.
11. Be persistent & relentless. Don't give up. If your first attempt didn't work, don't quit. Evaluate what isn't working and find another way of achieving that result you are looking for.
12. Gather information. Soak in as much information about anything and everything. Listen. Study. Understand. Learn. Knowledge is power so become the student of the game.
13. Accept failure. Understand that behind every success there is bound to be a failure. Embrace those failures so that you can learn to be better.
14. Take responsibility. When you do fail or receive constructive criticism, ensure that you take ownership & responsibility for the actions instead of passing the blame.
15. Remove fear, doubt, and negativity from your way of thinking. You will be surprised how effective you will become if you streamline your thoughts around positive thinking & successful outcomes.