Below are the pillars of success that hang on the bedroom walls of 11 & 12 year old boys. They have been there from ages 6 & 7 and while not executed to perfection, are in the discussion!
· I look people in the eyes when they are talking to me
· I say please and I say thank you when asking for & receiving things
· I say pardon when I have not heard what someone has said
· I address adults as Mr. or Mrs. _____ (even if they say “call me xx”)
· I go to the door and greet people with Hello when they arrive and Goodbye when they leave.
· I act the same as I would act if mom or dad was around, when they are not.
· I treat people with the respect and dignity with which I’d like to be treated
· I do what I say I’m going to do when I say I’m going to do it.
· I tell the truth, no matter how bad I think it is
· I accept responsibility for both good and bad things that may happen as a result of my behavior.
· I focus on the task in front of me at 100% and not something else.
· When I’m playing sports, it’s on that sport
· When I’m in school, it’s on the teacher & task
· When I’m at play, it’s on having a good time.
· I do not interrupt or disrupt other people’s focus.
· I give 100% of what I’m capable of every day, every play (in work and play)
· I do not give up. I keep trying until I find the solution or answer.
· I do not take short cuts. There are no short cuts in real life
· Where there’s a problem – I focus on the best & quickest solution possible.
· I realize losing & failure are a part of real life and sometimes, despite my best effort I will have to deal with losing and failure. I will do this with class.
· I believe that I am a good, hard working, smart, able boy.
· I believe that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to doing.
· I don’t accept put downs or negative criticisms from others