We had an interesting conversation with a fire chief last week about the divide between new & old school ideology in his fire hall. This division isn’t a new phenomena, in fact is the same division that stifles
development, collaboration and ultimately growth in many organizations
Fighting out of the red corner... the old boys. Old boys know it all and don’t want to think anyone with less experience or tenure can possibly have an idea that hasn’t been thought of or may have merit.
- little forward progress has come without fresh eyes and a new way of looking at / trying things
- that same forward progress, has usually been made through the old boys... when they were the young guns
- sometimes, there ISN’T a need to try and build a better mouse trap.
- there’s no fast tracking the gap between theoretical knowledge and applied experience.
- there’s much more acceptance when one has learned, understood and applied the principals AND then suggested changes.