"We're not trying to be better than the competition, we're trying to be different". Steve Jobs.
There's little argument about the impact Steve Jobs had on.... the world really. His vision redefined the manner in which we communicate across multiple mediums. But lets get back to his famous quote, a quote which defines ANY entrepreneur's / new businesses success. I'm no Steve Jobs by magnitude nor am I attempting to draw any comparisons to his accomplishments, however like many entrepreneurs I identify with his lengthy battle to switch the team focus OFF of what the competition is doing and ON to what we are creating.
Here are five reasons why that is critical to the success of any business.
- You can't control what others are doing. Focusing on others takes your attention off of what you're supposed to be doing. More, if you're attempting to replicate what others are already doing it means you're already behind / following.
- It exposes your lack of business IQ. Extremely successful business people remain focused on the execution of the worthy. While they are aware of the competitive landscape, they're not in reacting to it. They're defining it.
- You risk losing your unique value proposition. I've been in too many meetings that propose we operate like everyone else IN THE SAME BREATH as the demand to uphold our unique value proposition. You can't have both.
- It becomes a race to the bottom. Eventually, it comes down to who can deliver the best service for the cheapest price. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Apple decided they would be a premium brand, which carries a premium price and guess what? People not only expect that, they line up city blocks to get it. [see below]. Be great enough with your proposition that you can demand the supply.
- All of that energy and focus will only make your idea, business or value proposition better. You will stand APART from the rest of the businesses in your space and THAT is what consumers want. Not more confusion about the same thing.
The book on how to be successful need not be re-written, it simply needs to be read and implemented.